Saturday, June 9, 2012

You can't judge a smoothie by it's color....

My diet consists of smoothies, pureed soups, and as of last night, malts! I'm getting a little tired of smoothies and the like, but am thankful there is at least some kind of variety. I also know that you eat to live, not live to eat. I've been trying to keep my diet balanced even with the limitations a liquid diet presents. Something I've just started to add to some of my smoothies (I was doing this before surgery) is spinach. It doesn't taste too bad, and is SO good for you! The main issue I have is the color of the smoothie. For instance, yesterday, I made a smoothie with yogurt, berries, juice, banana, and spinach. It was actually pretty yummy!  Without the spinach it would have been a nice pink color. However, with the spinach it was a nice tan/brown.

I knew jaw surgery would mean a little temporary weight loss, and that has been the case.  It's not so much what I'm eating, it's the chore that eating is.  "Eating" means finding something that actually sounds good to eat, then either syringing it in, or drinking from an open cup and making a mess!  At this point I'm definitely eating to live (and heal) rather than eating to enjoy food.  I am definitely looking forward to the day I can eat pizza or a burger, or chips and salsa!  For now, I'm trying to enjoy the benefits of being a few pounds lighter, and fitting into some clothes I haven't worn in a few years! :)

Yesterday I did see Dr. Kallal.  Everything still looks good.  He took last week's elastics off and put some new ones on, and this week, I'm supposed to take them off once each day to brush and use the waterpik.  That will be nice.  Unfortunately, the elastics are to move my teeth AND keep my jaw shut (movement always means a little pain).  Last night was the worst night of sleep I had all week, I think due to the elastics.  My whole mouth/head was a little achey, and today I woke up looking a little more swollen than when I went to bed!  I'll have to change the elastics by myself (with my mom's help thankfully!!) today, and I'm hoping it's uneventful and easy.  He has them in some pretty weird spots, so it's my guess it will be a little tricky.  I'm hoping the achiness from the rubberbands becomes less and less as my teeth start moving in the direction the doc wants them to go.   

I was hoping when I take the elastics out to maybe sneak some yummier food in (I even bought stuff to make guacamole), since I'll be able to open up a bit wider then.  We'll see!

I forgot a pic yesterday, but here's one from today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment