Tuesday, June 19, 2012

3 weeks post op

Today marks 3 weeks post op. I had an appointment with my orthodontist this morning. My mom has commented and this is so true, that both my orthodontist's practice and my surgeon's practice are exceptional. I'm very blessed to have such wonderful medical "caretakers". Anyways my orthodontist, Dr. Weintraub, was very pleased with how everything looked and said both my surgical sites and gums looked good. I asked him how long I would have my splint (it's like a bite plate I've had since surgery that is behind my upper teeth and prevents my back teeth from touching - kind of like a cast for your teeth) and he thought it would be another 5 weeks (which makes sense, since I was told no chewing for 8 weeks). Once that comes out my talking should be clearer and my eating options should increase (at least I hope!). So I'm almost halfway to that! In other news, I made a cream of potato soup that was pretty yummy. Otherwise I've been sticking to instant breakfast, malts, and fruit smoothies. I've dropped 8 pounds, which I'm sure is some muscle loss. The kids are keeping my mom and I busy. One of biggest pre-surgery fears was that I wouldn't be able to read to the kids for a while and I've been able to do that. They don't seem to care that I can't pronounce everything right! Also, Joe's vocabulary has increased from like 10 words to 50 words in the last couple of weeks. I know that has nothing to do with jaw surgery but that has been very exciting!

Thanks again for your prayers. I appreciate prayers for continued healing and energy.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason I tried to post this and it continued to say "unknown". Just wanted you to know that I've been thinking of you and praying for a complete healing of your jaw. If you are still in need of some meals when I return from Wisconsin, I'd like to bring one. Take care! Cheryl W.

    ReplyDelete