Saturday, June 23, 2012

Perception and reality

I had an appt with my surgeon, Dr. Kallal, yesterday. He asked me to open and close and apparently I can barely open my mouth still. When I try to open it feels like I'm opening very wide and big, but when I look in the mirror it's open about 1-2 mm. In order for him to pull my splint out, he has to be able to put two fingers in (height-wise). So between now and my next appt with him in 3 weeks, I have a lot of "mouth yoga" to do. And I'm motivated!

Perception: My mouth is open as large as a lion's.
Reality: I couldn't stick a cracker in my mouth if I tried.

Last night, Marc and I went on a "date". The first one since surgery. Normally food is a part of any date(for us). We both love food! Since I can't eat we improvised. I got the OK from Dr. K yesterday, to drink from a straw. So we used some coupons we had and got a free cherry chiller, and a $1 strawberry lemonade. Just because I had the OK to drink from a straw didn't mean I was physically able - I discovered that quickly! It took about 5x as long but I managed to drink most of it until it was mostly ice at the bottom. Marc and I spent our date driving around looking at houses that were for sale in the area. It was actually a lot of fun and I didn't have to exert any energy. :). However when I came home and did my daily drill of waterpik-ing, brushing, and elastics changing, I found my mouth was bleeding. Turns out while drinking from the straw I cut my gums with the straw but since I'm still mostly numb I couldn't feel it. It's scary to think parts of my mouth could be totally cut up and I wouldn't even know. On the flip side I'm extremely thankful my mouth was and is numb considering what was done during surgery!

All right I'm off to do my mouth yoga...


No comments:

Post a Comment