Tuesday, June 26, 2012

4 weeks post op

4 weeks!  I can't believe it.  Though just a number, it feels really good to hit 4 weeks for a few reasons. 

1) When I first met with my orthodontist, I remember him saying, people who get jaw surgery should take a month off whatever they do (like if you are a student, take a month off school, if working a month off work).  Obviously I wasn't able to fully take a month off, but my mom definitely has helped ease my load!  This surgery is not ideal with young children, but do-able as long as you have support.  The last few days, my energy is picking up more, and I've been able to do more than even just a week ago! 

2) 4 weeks is halfway to 8 weeks, which is when I'm allowed to chew!  Yeah!  I know I'll have to start small with softer foods, and that it will take time to get better since I have a new bite now, and I won't have chewed anything for a while, but I do look very forward to 8 weeks!


I am getting very EXTREMELY bored of liquids, but trying to hang in there.  Sometimes I forget I can't eat and we'll be driving past a McDonalds and I'll think, "Oh let's stop so I can get a cheeseburger!" and then I'll remember, "oh yeah, nevermind" and TRY to laugh about it.  But in all honesty, I know this is a small thing compared to much bigger life and health situations many other people deal with.  For now, I need to remember to just keep eating whether or not I feel like it.  When I don't I'm more tired, light-headed, and headachey. 

I got out yesterday with my mom and the kids and we visited with some friends of mine from college at the Morton Arboretum.  I actually felt pretty good the majority of the time.  The beautiful weather helped too!  And so good to see the girls and their kids!! 

In the last few days I have gotten a little more feeling back in my upper lip.  On the left side I would say it is now only 50% numb and on the right side it feels normal.  I still have feeling in my lower lip and area underneath it.  This is all to be expected and no surprise to the experts.

In final news, the mouth yoga is working, but ever so slowly.  It also makes my mouth hurt, but it will be worth it to get the splint taken out, not to mention being able to fit food in my mouth.  Here is a pic of how big I am able to open now:
It feels as though I'm open so huge, but I'm really not!

And here's a nice normal picture of me at 4 weeks post op:

No comments:

Post a Comment