Tuesday, July 17, 2012

7 Week Post Op

Today was a busy day for the whole family.  We left here at about 7:30 am.  Both Lydia and I had our annual physicals in Hinsdale at 8:30.  (For the last year, all of our medical appointments have been in Hinsdale due to having to be on an HMO in Hinsdale for surgery to be covered).  Since Lydia completely dislkes going to the doctor, and needed shots, I was a little nervous.  I also knew we had a new doctor.  Most of the doctors at the practice we have to go to, are residents, as was the Dr. we had been seeing for the last year.  He has moved on, and we had a new resident.  I'm happy to report he was great and Lydia did great too (besides the crying when she knew it was "shot" time)  My physicals are usually pretty uneventful, but it turns out I have two moles that need to get removed, so I'll be back in Hinsdale in a couple weeks.  Apparently it's a really simple process.  It has been a pain and a nuisance make the trek down to Hinsdale for every appt, but I'm thankful to God, that none of us have been really sick!

We enjoyed lunch with some of Marc's old co-workers, and then I had an afternoon appt with Dr. K(my surgeon).  I expected him to attempt removing my splint, but I think when he saw how far I could open (not far enough), he knew it would not be possible.  So the splint stays for now.  When they said my next appointment would be in 8 weeks, I asked if we could make it earlier.  It pays to be a little assertive, because I now go back in 4 weeks! I just couldn't imagine waiting another 2 months before getting the splint out.   I'd like to get the splint out so I can A)talk easier B)not get food stuck under it, and C)move on with the ortho treatment (my orthodontist can only do so much until the splint comes out).  Dr. K did give the okay to chew soft things today (pasta, ground beef, etc.), so hopefully the chewing works my jaw muscles and allows me to open further.  Dr. K also added another elastic but said from here on out the orthodontist can be in charge of elastic placing. 
There were no x-rays today which kind of surprised me.  My appt with Dr. K. turned out to be quite uneventful, but the news that I could chew softer stuff was nice.  Dr. K. also gave me a script for a non-drowsy muscle relaxer.  I'm going to try that tomorrow night and see if it works. 

No comments:

Post a Comment